Sunday, October 10, 2010

Garba this Saturday!

Currently listening to:
Song: Bluffmaster - Right Here, Right Now & Sabse Bada Rupaya (getting into the mood for this Saturday's dancing)
James Blunt - Tears and Rain (talks about the character of Dorian Gray, who I find is an interesting fictional character who becomes immortal by trading his soul to the devil for eternal youth and all his sins and age transfers onto this painted portrait of him so as the years go by, he doesn't age but his painting does.
This means he can do whatever the hell he wants. He is consumed by hedonism ( the maximum net pleasure = pleasure - the pain / suffering). This just means that Dorian Gray was a total man slut
SPOILER ALERT: In the end, after 2-3 decades, racked with guilt over the murder of his brother in law, he stabs the painting and all the years of aging transfers back into Dorian Gray and the police can only identify the ashes as him by his ring and teeth. They also found the portrait of Dorian Gray totally unharmed and unblemished.
Bands / Artist : Zowie / Bionic Pixie (This girl is starting to become the next best thing in New Zealand since Ladyhawke and I hope for the best for her in the future)
Steve Aoki ( He's a Dj and he's mixed such songs as Metro Station's Control, Evermore's It's Too late and Kid Cudi's Pursuit Of Happyness. His style is very easy to love and Mike Relm recommends him so i had to check this guy out)

It's going down this Saturday Night for Garba at the Mahatma Ghandi Centre.
As one of the only asian ( of chinese descent, not indian subnote: India is subcontinental) I'm pretty indian myself. I beat Siddarth Dave in indian insults. That's how badass I am!
People find it surprising that I have hindi songs in my iPod but i'm just more variated in my music selection =D
Back to Garba, for those who don't know what it is, it is an Hindi festival of Navaratri celebrated over 9 nights by dancing. I borrowed a kurta last year but I bought one this year at Roop Darshan.
I entered the store and I get all these funny looks and they wonder why is there an asian in a indian Clothing store. The guy who helped me pick out my kurta literally picked out my kurta. All I did was chose either the red and black or the blue one. Such a nice guy but the price wasn't so forgiving.
$49.00! Thank god it was on special! 30% off! Shit! Still expensive! Better off buying something from Dressmart for something cooler. I walked out feeling not content with what I got but I only brought $40 with me =( plus I wanted the long one but the price margin between my budget and the price of the kurta was just too great. moving on to the actual night

This is my breakdown of the night.
9pm-ish - Arrive there. It's an indian thing to arrive like a couple hours late. No biggie. Plus no one will start dancing till there is enough people to make 3-4 large circles. This is where I will bust out my moves xD
10pm-ish - Say hi to every indian I know. I KNOW LIKE HEAPS!! I said to hi to more indians than Alastair Fernandes =D
10:30-ish - A prayer will take place so everyone who doesn't take part will go to get something to eat or drink for the over-priced canteen. There will also be stalls here selling knick knacks.
11:30-ish - Back to dancing. This is the lead up to the more freestyle dancing and where you can actually walk from the canteen to the main hall without rubbing and bumping into sweaty people who just clearly ran a marathon. Many people may have left at this point.
12pm-ish - Getting ready to leave. Must at least say hi to Henali and beat her at her own culture's dance

If you think I'm very indian, you've never seen Codesa or Joseph because Codesa knows the lyrics to "Desi Girl" and Joseph is not just the only white guy in the Roskill's indian cricket team but actually requests hindi and punjabi songs. Proud to call them my behen and bhai

No comments:

Post a Comment